While not exactly a packrat, it does often seem like my family has a lot more stuff than we do storage. We have some extra shelves in our garage and attic, but it gets really tiresome having to constantly lug boxes and bins outside or upstairs. Even worse, most storage bins don’t do a very good job of keeping out moisture and damp, which sometimes means that our clothes and bedding would get a musty smell. I really wasn’t sure what to do, when a friend told me about Space Bags. I placed an order for them, and within a day, I’d managed to not only protect our out-of-season clothes and bed linens, but I’d also increased our available storage space by 50%!
How It Works
The bags are really simple to use. Just fill the bag with clothes, bedding or other materials and seal the bag. You can then attach your vacuum cleaner hose to the valve and suck out the air. The package will shrink down to a fraction of its original size, making it easy for you to store anywhere. No vacuum? No problem. Just roll up the bag to push out the air. When you want access to your things, just open the bag and take them out. Not only are the bags great for household storage, but they’re also for traveling. I use them to compress my clothes when I go on vacation, so I don’t have to pay extra for checked baggage. They are also great for when you go camping, as they are easy to carry and ensure that you have dry clothing even when the weather is bad.
Pros and Cons
I love my Space Bags and cant’ do without them. But like anything, they have their pros and cons:
- Space Bags are made of thin, sturdy plastic. Unlike cardboard boxes or rigid plastic tubs, Space Bags are flexible and you can store them almost anywhere.
- Space Bags compress the air out of bulky fabrics and household items, allowing you to make the most of your storage space.
- Unlike some similar products, you have the option of either rolling the bags to get the air out or using a vacuum cleaner hose to compress the bags.
- Bags are water and airtight, protecting your garments against odors, dust, insects and damp.
- They aren’t really suited to large, rigid objects or items with sharp edges, as these will puncture the plastic.
- Your clothes and linens are likely to be a bit wrinkled after you take them out of storage, which may mean that you need to iron them.
Where to Buy
Definitely buy Space Bag sets through the official website. They actually tripled my order and gave me this great storage case for my bags. I also got a full array of different-sized Space Bags that work for just about everything I need to store in my house.
This is one product that is a no-brainer for anyone. I don’t care whether you are single, married or have a houseful of kids: If you have stuff, you need the Space Bag set. They’ll store and protect your things while giving you extra space in your home.
Here is a report Good Morning America did on the Space Bags showing their effectiveness too: